Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Young and the Restless

While our reasons may differ, we have all felt the urge to leave Salzburg at one point or another. For me it’s probably a little bit different than for many other students, though.
We came to Salzburg from all over Austria (some even from beyond the Austrian borders) and many cannot wait to get back home or feel homesick at times. However, I think of Salzburg as my home now.
No, it’s not because I grew up here, if that is what you are thinking. I’m actually from a town called Ried in Upper Austria. However, my mother did live in Salzburg for quite some time and my parents still have many friends here. I already was very famliliar with the city long before I started studying here.
Another reason why I feel at home in Salzburg is that my parents moved into a new house right after I finished high school. Whenever I go back "home" I feel more like a guest (even though I have my own room and all) because I have no childhood memories associated with the house.
Also, Ried seems to have become very small and it seems that I have "outgrown" it.
I don’t know what to do anymore when I’m at home. My school friends are scattered across Austria and many of them already work regular jobs, living their lives somewhere else. We usually meet up someplace that is convenient for everyone. So my social life has also shifted to Salzburg.
I know that your home is always supposed to be your home. You know, the old saying about having "roots and wings" and all that. I usually find it pretty easy to make my home wherever I go, taking my roots with me. Maybe this is because I have always moved around a lot. I attended four different high schools (one of them was a boarding school) and I even spent one year abroad in Kilkenny, Ireland. However, you won’t hear me complaining because I like it that way. I have always been restless and get bored rather quickly.
Maybe it’s also because my family is not originally from Austria. My family is actually from Italy and my grandparents – after a lot of moving around – finally settled in Austria, in Ried of all places. You see, restlessness is definitely a family trait.

However, even Salzburg has gotten smaller lately. It’s seems like the closer I get to the end of my studies the more impatient I’m growing to leave Salzburg. But where to?
Going back to Ried is not an option for me. Also the thought of getting a job after finishing university and staying in Salzburg sends chills down my spine and I get all claustrophobic (so does the thought of any "permanent" situation).
Anyways, I definitely want to go someplace new. I like "new"; meeting new people, not knowing your way around and all that. I like the feeling of not knowing where you might end up. A lot of people usually don’t understand that, because they like living in a solid circle of friends and family. It’s not like I get bored with people, but more with certain situations and daily routines.

After thinking a lot about what I want from the future and where I want my future to be I’ve decided to take it as it comes. After finishing university I will just see where life leads me. Hopefully far away. What do you think? Do you feel the urge to leave Salzburg or even Austria? If yes, why?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I arrived in Austria on Febr, 12, 2010 for the 1st time in my life. I was delighted because I've been waiting for it for a long time and it was happening then.

    On a train from the airport I met a guy. We had a nice chat.

    He looked London-styled, spoke British Englsih and had a book from a London bookstore in his hands (smth on economics).

    Surprisingly enough, he grew up in Salzburg, the city I was heading to.
    Later he went to London to study economics, and totally liked the city, and stayed there for 10 years...

    Then he got bored - and learned Japanese, and went to Japan for 5 years!

    And when we met he was visiting his friends in Wien :)

    He was 100% happy with the way he has chosen. One could see it in his bright eyes!
    ***

    I found the story very encouraging. No limits, no borders. We can stay wherever we want to stay, we can go wherever we want to go..
    ***

    "Das Leben ist nur eine Reise in die Fremde" (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, I haven't been here for a while, and this morning I go to UNI.SON, read the most recent blogpost and realize it's absolutely true about myself.

    "Whenever I go back "home" I feel more like a guest (even though I have my own room and all)..."


    "I usually find it pretty easy to make my home wherever I go, taking my roots with me..." (this line I liked most)

    "My school friends are scattered around..."

    "the thought of getting a job after finishing university ... I get all claustrophobic (so does the thought of any "permanent" situation).."

    "A lot of people usually don’t understand that..." -soo true!

    I always felt that way but never talked to anyone about that because they'd think I went crazy. Great that you've written it.

    As for the mood, it reads a little bit like "The Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree. I mean I'm not even from Austria, technically speaking and Salzburg becomes smaller to me every semester...

    I'm looking forward to what life will bring after I will have recieved my degree but I will probably not stay in Salzburg or even Austria. Going back to Luxemburg is the main idea but I would love to move to Vancouver for a while and work there, just to see different parts of the world... Australia would be cool too but they have very poisonous spiders down there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vancouver! That's a good choice! I know some people there, and they are awfully nice.

    At the uni we once watched a TV-programme about Canada, and Vancouver was claimed to be the best city in the world (!) to live in. Since then I've been dreaming of going there, just to find out whether it's statement is true.

    So don't forget to blog on your life in Vancouver as soon as you are there
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...but they have very poisonous spiders down there ;)"

    :D that's definitely a good reason not to go. Personally, I don't want to meet a kangaroo for a while, because I just ate one of their comrades at 'Cooking Kahn'. I bet they can tell and will challenge me to a boxmatch, which I'm afraid I'll lose :(

    ReplyDelete