Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Urge to leave Salzburg


When people think of Salzburg, my primary residence of choice while I am completing my studies, they have these pictures in mind.
















The winter version of this picture would be the following:




There are many reasons why students come to Salzburg. Some don’t find the educational options in their home country or province adequate or they just want to take the first tentative steps towards independence. Others just want to leave home for no particular reason at all. The reason why I left Luxemburg, my home country, is the first one I listed. The University of Luxemburg was founded in 2003 and isn’t well established yet. I have the feeling that the degree in Salzburg will be more useful for my future plans. The degree I will end up having fits my needs so coming to Salzburg seemed like an obvious choice to me.

Even though Salzburg is my adoptive home, that doesn’t mean that I love the city unconditionally. There are times when the temptation to pack my bags and leave is very hard to resist. I’m also pretty sure that many students feel this way every once in a while and the reasons are probably wide and varied.

I often feel the need to leave mid-semester, which is either around end of April or end of November. I like to call this my ‘mid-semester depression’ and lots of factors accumulate around this time.
First, I tend to miss my friends from home. It’s easy to say that nowadays a person is only a phone call away, but sometimes a phone call isn’t enough. And since I’ve lived in Luxemburg for the last 12 years, homesickness not only for the people but also for the country isn’t far off either. On the surface Salzburg and Luxemburg City (the capital) seem very similar because both places have a fortress but I have the feeling that Luxemburg is more cosmopolitan.

Of course you cannot forget to mention the factor ’University’ when talking about wanting to leave. When my ‘mid-semester depression’ hits, I usually feel over-worked and frustrated because midterms need to be taken care of. There is only so much cramming you can do and around the second week of mid-terms, frustration takes over and everything seems pointless. I’m aware that this sounds very negative but this is one of the instances when the urge to leave is most prominent and I can only speak for myself of course.

Now that I listed the reasons why people might want to leave Salzburg in the first place, you also have to be aware of the fact that only very few can actually leave on a whim. It’s a matter of financial means, and time constraints often put a hold on spontaneous plans for escape.

If you are in the same position as I am, you cannot just pack up and leave. This is why I have compiled a three-step program to lessen the urge and make staying in Salzburg bearable again.

First: don’t brood! Brooding might seem like the best course of action because you don’t want to come across as whiny or because you don’t want to burden your friends. In my opinion, that’s silly. Brooding and sulking about your situation will not improve it in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, you will make yourself feel worse, because if you will be keeping everything bottled up and letting it fester. Of course, I sound like a pseudo-psychologist now but I actually am speaking from personal experience so please bear with me. This first step also includes talking to the new friends you made in Salzburg. No one will laugh at you if you feel well and truly miserable. They will gladly lend you a shoulder to cry on and once you’ve broken out of the brooding mindset, things will improve steadily. I’m quite lucky to live in a dorm where we are a tight-knit community and support each other. If you don’t feel well, you’re never on your own, and after all the ‘strong and silent’ type has been out for a while now

Second: reconnect with your friends from home, even though they are far away. Modern communication technologies make staying in touch so very easy. If you aren’t in the mood to write long-winded e-mails or can’t afford huge phone bills, just post a little something on their wall on
Facebook. Facebook, Twitter and MySpace have their definite advantages. It’s easy to simply comment on the status of a friend you haven’t talked to in a while. One more option would be MSN or Skype. If you throw a webcam into the mix you can actually have a face-to-face conversation of sorts and the feeling of loneliness and homesickness will slowly but surely dissipate.

Third, I recommend setting up a clear schedule. Even when you have midterms to prepare for and paper outlines to hand it, it’s important to still have time for social activities. This way you have’ll periods when you can relax a little and it’ll keep you from feeling swamped and overwhelmed.

If you follow these steps, you should be fine in the end, but most things are easier said than done. I know how easy it is to give into temptation and wallow in self-pity. After all, feeling sorry for yourself is definitely easier than taking matters into your own hands to change the situation for the better. Still, if you ever feel the urge to leave Salzburg again try to take into consideration what I mentioned. I sometimes have to resort to this three-step program myself, so these aren’t just empty words. Try to ride it out, let your friends help and things should improve in no time at all. And you’ll grow to appreciate Salzburg again for what it is: an interesting and sometimes even beautiful city.

Yours Truly,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. You seem to know well what you're writing about!!

    step 3 is the most useful, imho

    "No one will laugh at you if you feel well and truly miserable. They will gladly lend you a shoulder to cry on.."

    are you sure?!

    I'm kind of used to keeping myself to myself - especially while I'm here, in another country. But maybe you're right and I should follow your advise one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I am in salzburg since 2008 and made great friends... in my dorm we are a pretty tight-knit community and we support each other. Obviously that's not the case for everyone but I can only ever speak for myself!

    step 3 might be the most helpful one but what do you do with your free time once you cleared your schedule? spend it with friends because otherwise you easily fall back into the brooding mindset! it all ties together somehow!

    ReplyDelete