Friday, June 18, 2010

On my road into the wild

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t plan on spending months On the Road on my way Into the Wild where I’ll find my end way too soon. But after jumping through enough hoops to qualify for the next Olympics, now seems like the right time to just lean back and start daydreaming about traveling. And that’s exactly what I’ve been doing when I’m feeling blue

In fact, daydreaming has been the major reason for procrastination recently (salute to Michelle). To jumpstart my imagination I got a brand new Lonely Planet travel guide. I have to admit that I have used these travel guides for a couple of years now so bear with me if you’re not a fan. The first chapter I usually have a look at is “Getting Started”. There I found probably the most important advice for my trip, especially concerning packing, namely

after you halve your clothes, double your estimated budget, and it’ll work out fine.

Not sure yet how the doubling of my budget will work without committing a crime, but I’ll definitely (try to) stick to the second part of that advice. If you have ever been in the same situation you might remember the dilemma of suddenly having to chose between your favorite and the most practical outfit. Since the whole packing issue is still quite frustrating, I did the psychologically healthiest thing of repressing the issue and putting it off.

I continued to just browse through my travel guide some more when I came across Jack Kerouac again. So I looked for my copy of On the Road and found the passage that I consider essential – for Sal in the story and my story, too.

What’s your road, man? – holyboy road, madman road, rainbow road, guppy road, any road. It’s an anywhere road for anybody anyhow.

Yours truly,

Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment