Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Am I a modern slave?

It’s Wednesday afternoon:

My phone rings. The display says, “Boss is calling”. Should I answer the call? Hmhh, I kind of have to.
“Hallo Nona, how are you doing?”
“Fine, what’s up?”
“What are you doing on Friday?”
I don’t like such questions. I quickly think about it but do I really have another option, other than saying yes? There is such a lot to do for university but on the other hand I´m broke. I have to work.
“Nothing, I can work. When and where do I have to be?”
“We are going to Vienna and we will meet at 6 a.m.”
What? Unbelievable? Oh dear, I said yes! Wrong decision. But my answer is:
“Okay and when are we going back?”
“5 am the next morning?”
“Okay, see you at 6”
That’s all I need to know. This is going to be a long day and an even longer night. And then I start to count how many hours I will be working and how much money I will earn. It doesn’t really cheer me up.

6 comments:

  1. 23-hour day. :S Your job should be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Nona. I always end up saying yes too when the boss calls. However the 'money part' usually cheers me up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nona, just a small note to cheer you up ;)

    While working in Moscow from 9 a.m. till 9 p.m. every Friday/Sunday - and on all other days I had classes at the uni - for 6 months, I thought I was gonna die :)

    I survived, however, and even could afford this stay in Salzburg - thanks to the earned money.

    And now, being here and being unemployed, I walk along the streets, see people working in cafes/shops/hotels and feel kind of envious.

    So keep doing - 'cause you're doing great! :*)

    ReplyDelete