Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mind in the Gutter

The end of the 2010 Summer Semester is finally here. Well, it’s almost here. I am one exam away from finally being able to yell out of my third-story apartment window, “I’M FREEEEE! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I’M FREE AT LAST!”

It’s been a pretty strenuous semester for me to say the least. I’m one of those people who are constantly on the move and rarely in one place for long. I thoroughly enjoyed most of my courses and can say that I have learned a lot.

I am one of those people that give their all until the very end of a term and has little time to actually think about what they are doing and where all of the information they’re taking in. Stress mode is on “high” and it’s very hard to even think about relaxing when that’s all I really want to do but can’t. For me sleepless nights with lots of writing and studying mean a lot of crying and complaining.

If I was asked how I kept my mind clear, I would have to say that I have absolutely no idea! I know that people with really good time management and organizational skills have some tricks up their sleeves and breeze through the end of the semester with all of their exams and when it’s over smile and jump head first into the summer. So one would have to ask them, not me.

I, on the other hand, do not know how to get through a semester with a clear mind at the end of it. Honestly, I don’t think I ever finished a semester at school so far where I haven’t been completely stressed out or on the verge of a burn out. When I finish my last exam I either go out for a celebratory drink before going home, or I head directly home and fall straight into bed for a good 12-16 hour sleep. The next day, the “technical” first day of summer, is spent in bed, and not outdoors in the sun or somewhere on a beach or in a pool. No, no, I sleep, because after all of my exams my brain tends to go into hibernation mode, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I know I am not someone with the best time management and organizational skills, and that is not necessarily something I am proud of. It doesn’t always work for me, but it works most of the time. Every new semester I try to strengthen my weak spots (organization and time management) but I think it’s more of a trial and error thing due to my personality. Sure, maybe that is an excuse, but I think it is a valid one. I like taking on a big course load and learning a lot of different things. If that means that I am super stressed out at the end of the semester, so be it.

My mind is literally in the gutter. (This can mean a few different things, and yes at times most of it rings true for me as well). Recently, I have had a few conversations with friends about various topics related to courses that I am taking at the university and out of the blue my brain stops working and I give my friends a deer in headlight look and stop talking mid-sentence. (It’s worth the laugh really! My friends start laughing at me because they understand what’s going on, and instead of getting upset I laugh with them.)

For me, being stressed out at the end of the semester is a part of being a student at a university. The stress, the sleepless nights— it is all a part of the learning experience. Some people learn time management and organizational skills faster than others, and others take a little longer, some actually want to change their skills and others don’t.

A few days ago, in the midst of all of my studying stress, I took about an hour of my valuable time to really think about what I would say to someone if I had to give them a 10 step ‘how to’ in regards to having a clear mind at the end of the semester, and this is what I would say:

How to keep a clear mind at the end of a semester:

  1. If you need to give any presentations in a course, make sure you get them done and over with at the very beginning of a semester! Do not wait until the end when you’re already stressed out and studying for exams.
  2. If you have a paper to write, get it done right away. Even if you have two weeks to work on it! Get it done as soon as possible. (A bonus might be that you can look over the paper with your teacher/professor and make corrections before it’s due.)
  3. Get to know your peers, if you ever have a question that you can’t ask your professor, it’s always best to be on a first name basis with the people sitting in the classroom with you. Plus, if they like you, they might even lend you their notes!
  4. Stay organized. A rule of thumb my mom always told me was that if there’s something that you can do in five minutes do it right away and don’t save it until later. (It only takes five minutes!)
  5. Eat healthy and exercise- a healthy body means a clear mind (so I’ve been told).
  6. If you are having trouble with any courses go and talk to your teachers and see if they can help you understand whatever it is you’re having trouble with (I promise, they don’t bite!)
  7. When its time to start studying for exams, create a studying schedule. That way it might be less easy to procrastinate.
  8. Make sure to have fun outside of school. A good balance between work and play is always important!
  9. Make sure to get enough sleep!!! If you have trouble sleeping and are a borderline insomniac like myself, then be sure to fit a few naps into your schedule, or take at least five minutes to close your eyes and just rest.
  10. Do what works best for you!

It might be time for me to take my own advice.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment